Ivymount School, Inc.
HEATH Resource Center at the National Youth Transitions Center
1. Organization Name: Ivymount School, Inc
2. Organization Purpose: Non-public special education school serving students, ages 4 – 21-, with developmental disabilities including autism spectrum disorder
3. How many young people do you serve? Approximately 220 annually
4. What is the geographic reach of your organization (i.e. D.C. only, DC Metro, or National, etc.)?
Greater Washington area including DC, Maryland and Virginia jurisdictions.
5. What made your organization decide to become a part of the National Youth Transitions Collaborative?
Opportunities for networking, programs for students of transition age, and general reputation of the NYTC.
6. How does your organization assist educators, families, and/or youth with disabilities in facilitating the transition process?
Ivymount has a range of services for transitioning youth including job exploration and placement, self-advocacy support, family guidance for supporting the transition process, job fairs, Project SEARCH Transition-to-Work Program sites, and partnerships with over 30 community jobsites.
Ivymount students and transition staff participated in the OSSE/SchoolTalk Student-led IEP pilot project. We partner with collaborative members on projects which have been funded by NYTC/HSC grants. These projects include: Career Exploration Fairs in DC, MD and VA; “Telling My Story, Planning My Future” self-advocacy project; and “Millennials in the Workplace” project. Ivymount is a member of OSSE’s Postsecondary Transition Community of Practice Committee and MANSEF’s Transition Advisory Committee.
7. What resources does your organization provide for parents, students, and/or educators? Are there any online resources that parents, students, and/or educators can access?
We offer parent workshops on post-secondary options, navigating adult services, independent living, disability awareness and other relevant transition topics. We present at conferences and workshops on the above-mentioned topics.
8. Do you have any upcoming events that you want us to highlight in our website?
The Ivymount Benefit Auction 2016 will be held on Saturday, November 19th at the Marriott Marquis in Washington, DC.
9. Contact information:
Amy Alvord, Education Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Sharon Nickolaus, Director of Transition Services email@example.com
10. Website: www.ivymount.org
11. Social Media links: